Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Traveling Dress

This past weekend the dance company had a very successful performance at an art gallery in Michigan City Indiana. The 10 girls including myself performed a piece based off of the scientific concept of string theory. We had great feedback from the audience and the gallery wishes to have us back. After watching the taped piece, I believe that this is the best I have ever seen the girls dance before, and I am so proud of everybody. (We also got to meet the artist who created the piece of art we were performing in front of.)

However, this is beside the point. The next day the company went shopping at a thrift store in Michigan City (this is a common past time of ours). Melissa our artistic director and choreographer found a dress for a dancer Megan to try on. Megan tried the dress on and it looked beautiful on her! However, she already had a dress very similar to it. Megan gave me the dress to try on. I did not think that the dress would fit me because we have completely opposite body types. Regardless, the dress fit and looked great!

Now, I know what you're thinking if you have read The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books (or watched the movies). Could these girls really be so dorky as to pass the dress on from girl to girl? Why, you would be correct. On the train ride back to Chicago we all decided that we would pass the dress on from girl to girl along with a journal. Each girl would have two weeks tops to wear the dress once, take a picture of herself in it, and write a journal entry. She would then pass it on to the next girl.

We also decided that we would have a company sleepover at my house to start off the journey. We will have candles and cheetos and make rules to go along with the dress. I'm SO excited for all of this! And, yes I am being super dorky and girly, but I really don't give a crap. Let the Company of the Traveling Dress begin!